From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: REVOLUTIONARY APS Guage Spin Block
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
APS Cannons have one massive flaw

They're HUGE!! For anyone who wants to pack a serious punch, you're going to need serious space. Unfortunately the APS mechanism also has to be entirely ROTATABLE - if you want to make it a turret.

This means a LARGE empty space, lots of room for your cannon assembly to rotate. Much of this space is wasted - vacant

WHAT IF - we created a single axis turret block, that doubles as an APS guage unit.

Players could create the majority of an APS system as a fixed unit, while using the turret spin block itself as the connection between the APS firing piece, and the rest of the mechanism.

You should choose this solution because:

1) It maintains game balance

The block volume required to build an APS system remains the same.

2) Vehicle design friendly

It enables much more versatile design options:

When I design my ship bow, I always like a fierce cannon up front, but the APS system has to be limited on smaller boats due to the lack of cavity space at the bow of V hulls. This block allows for better space efficiency when designing APS turrets, and therefore makes them much more flexible.

VOTE YES above to show support of my idea!
STOP SHOUTING BLIN!

This was suggested already multiple times and no, it would not maintain balance.
Some had already said why not, I don't remember the exact reasoning right now.
Also, you already posted this elsewhere, just one post will do.
I removed the other post, I made this one when I decided this was a more appropriate location to post it.
I believe this would be a welcome and reasonable balance change for many players who would like to see more flexible APS systems. It would open many opportunities for innovative designs, and contribute overall to a more player friendly game in my humble opinion.
I think it will make APS like Laser system. Whole vessel is laser, and can turn every direction very quick.

for me, I like this idea. for balance, it need a lot of work.
Maybe limit ammo throughput and allow for replenishing subconstruct's autoloaders at maximum throughput. It would also benefit from separating fire control system and breach block so we make tri-gun turrets with single turret base
If you spent just a few minutes investing in delving what existing suggestions we have, by any chance you migh have stumbled up upon this one: http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=32658
Maybe this would work if the shells had to be on the turret. This keeps a fair amount of complexity above the turret block, and makes sure the turrets are still 'splody. Still this kind of thing isn't going to help balance rapid fire aps when someone makes a 1500 part cooling snake in their hull so they can shotgun every last 500mm shell all at once.
(2018-04-04, 06:54 PM)vyrus Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe this would work if the shells had to be on the turret. This keeps a fair amount of complexity above the turret block, and makes sure the turrets are still 'splody. Still this kind of thing isn't going to help balance rapid fire aps when someone makes a 1500 part cooling snake in their hull so they can shotgun every last 500mm shell all at once.

You don't ever need more than about 50 gauge coolers, 100 will get you to have no cooldown whatsoever. Also, shotgunning 500mm shells is a bad strategy, they can all miss or have the first 20 hit then the remaining 80 just go through the new hole. I think that compromise might work well, especially for small guns which need tons of cooling.
Pages: 1 2