From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: My Thoughts on a Research System
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In my mind, the best way would be to make certain things, lasers, custom jets, shields, ion thrusters, large props and large jets, PACs, 2+ meter racks and loaders, smoke, LUA blocks, complex controllers, PIDs, maybe ACBs, etc unavailable until you reach either a certain level, or progression in the campaign. Maybe, once you take the first resource zone off the DWG OR reach level 5, you unlock a few components. After that, maybe you need to capture 10 tiles of the DWG's territory OR reach level 10. Then maybe you need to have a certain amount of materials total (including ship costs) to unlock the next thing. And by the end of the OW or maybe even DWG, you would unlock everything. Each destruction of a factions main base could also grant a bigger research item (say, the whole lasers tab for the DWG) and a large amount of resources, in addition to the amount you simply get from destroying the fortress. You could also get a lesser amount of resources from the other unit producing fortresses.
I don't think this would work, limiting items until you reach a certain level or destroy a faction just won't work, the entire point of the game is to make anything you want, so limiting things until you pass a certain goal would make it boring, especially since you have 8 factions to conquer, that's 8 full sections locked
Did you even read my whole post? "And by the end of the OW or maybe even DWG, you would unlock everything." The point is to limit a few things at the beginning, so you don't reck the DWG with lasers, but get everything after that for the harder factions, as in everything else.
(2017-08-24, 05:24 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: [ -> ]Did you even read my whole post? "And by the end of the OW or maybe even DWG, you would unlock everything." The point is to limit a few things at the beginning, so you don't reck the DWG with lasers, but get everything after that for the harder factions, as in everything else.

We had a sort of unlocking system for some components previously where you would have to do SS missions to unlock heat decoys. In short, it was cancer. I would think that most of the combined hours of all of FTD's players were exclusively in the designer, and I remember someone saying that they have 2000 hours in FTD or something and they have touched the Neter campaign since, let's be honest, it's kinda tedious to have to grind through 30 150FP SD squares when all that spawns are Bishops that take like 10mins to kill each. I myself have played the DWG section a fair few times which was a lot more fun, so unlocking stuff by doing DWG wouldn't be too bad for me, but for most experienced players DWG Godly is fairly trivial from what I remember so it would just be another chore.

Also, I like to perfect my designs over a couple of days and then be done with them, and I don't want to have to redesign my main guns since I unlocked a better weapon type.

Unlocking stuff progressively might be good if you build your ships as you go, but most people I suspect build them in the designer since it needs plenty of combat testing, and I for one only consider playing the campaign if I already have something which I know will do well.
I don't think that a research system would be best, unless very optimized and changeable based on preferences, but this is what I would prefer over some of the other research suggestions.
Nick once proposed a system where research would simply decrease cost to build things. Everything would increase in price to compensate.
That could work relatively well, though the resource system gets broken towards the end game anyway. I have 2mil+ resources sitting around in my campaign and have 2.5 factions left to fight. I also use RTG's very expensive RTG's.
(2017-08-25, 02:06 PM)MizarLuke Wrote: [ -> ]That could work relatively well, though the resource system gets broken towards the end game anyway. I have 2mil+ resources sitting around in my campaign and have 2.5 factions left to fight. I also use RTG's very expensive RTG's.

d00d

More resources=moar dakka

∴ Never enough resources

Very true, my bad. but too much dakka= too much lag, and too much lag= less dakka.
Yes this is already in the campaign designer.
Components unlocks could be triggered by events there - sadly, the only event type is some defined mission accomplished.
My original research idea (kill a ship with lasers to be able to build lasers, et cetera...) couldn't be achieved by the current settings - but "kill that exact ship/faction" could be done there.

If you are interested snooping around in campaign designer, look at my video detailing the logic of it on the playlist. It is simple.