From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Volume Limit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was excited about my first play through of Ashes Of the Empire, and upon my arrival.... I discovered a 2K volume limit..... I spent hours designing a behemoth massive tank that I planned to build way later game, I really hope the limit changes. And I don't understand why there is one, so it all boils down to this question...

Why?
The volume limit is there for balance. Otherwise, it would be too easy to overpower the small land vehicle with a giant landship. All the AI vehicle are under 2k volume, with some exceptions, like HQ's for example, that there to act as boss challenges to your army.
Huh, i had no idea about this. But shouldn't that be a difficulty setting or something? If possible. Since AotE is (as far as i'm aware) the only way a player can experience land combat at the moment.
(2016-07-19, 02:45 PM)GeneralRizza Wrote: [ -> ]Why?

Because balance and lag management

Its much easier to create a good campaign if you know that the game wont boil down when 10-17k monstrosities gets in game

Because balance gets thrown out of the window and to counter it you have to bring similarly sized thing, which is more vulnerable to boarding and if player captures it he can scrap it and bring even bigger things.

And also the game will turn to slide show instantly.
And for your own HQ/Structure. Would be neat to have a higher cap for those.
Yes you can built multiple structures in a close space, but Block limit prevent some of spawning. So if you build your defences and half of them doesn'T spawn, well.. it isn't so nice :/

Brings me to another question: What about planes? Will the enemy have some? speaking of op. If the enemy has only land vehicle you can easily bomb them to death
(2016-07-19, 07:02 PM)superschokokeks Wrote: [ -> ]Brings me to another question: What about planes? Will the enemy have some? speaking of op. If the enemy has only land vehicle you can easily bomb them to death

Factions use aircraft from Neter
Both Karbengo's (Does Karbengo's sound like a brand of cereal to anyone else? No?) and Mrvecz's points are more or less correct, it mainly boils down to both balance and maintenance issues - it probably says something that AotE is currently the only fully up-to-date campaign in the game (at least when the fixes get to game, that is), and by god I couldn't do it if I had to run around fixing several hundred 10k block monstrosities. In the main campaign it's also rather common for a player just to build a 20k+ monstrosity and steamroll trough opposition. Hell, even I did that during my early hours of the game.

Having the player be exempt from the volume limit for a design or two has been discussed but is simply impossible due to the game's limitations. All enemy factions already have some sort of air force (ripped from the main campaign and rarer than land stuff) and anti-air designs too.
Alright thanks guys for answering, I really appreciate it. As much as I hate that I can't use my behemoth tank outfitted with guns straight from my biggest battleship, I fully understand.

But in my opinion I think the player should have a higher limit for fortresses, maybe 4-5k at least.
(2016-07-19, 10:35 PM)GeneralRizza Wrote: [ -> ]But in my opinion I think the player should have a higher limit for fortresses, maybe 4-5k at least.

Nick would have to code that first, as right now the volume limit cannot be configured for being different for structures/fortresses/vehicles
Oh, are all the 10k m³ vehicles HQ? I had seen the designs and been worrying in designer constantly trying to work out how to defeat these monsters expecting to see them frequently later on.
Pages: 1 2