From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Ashes of the Empire Submission Guidelines
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ashes of the Empire building guidelines:

-All general guidelines apply unless specially mentioned to be different. http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...p?tid=2668
-Volume limit 2k, OW goes up to 3k. HQs, Resource gatherers and Elite tanks have their own limits discussed in http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...?tid=20119
-All designs need full player controllability (hovercrafts are an exception, as they tend to rely on AI to do their balancing due to varying terrain height), and must include chair, controller, FCC, propel & rudder. The latter two are there to show player controls. Don't forget heartstone either
-DWG and OW are not starter factions unlike in Neter campaign and should not employ purposefully gimped weaponry
-ERA is allowed for all factions
-Heavy armor can be used by all factions except TG (they already have their ridiculous repair abilities) to reinforce vulnerable parts in small amounts. Metal, wood and/or alloy should still be the main building block, and any mostly/fully HA designs will go to the "Hell no"-file quicker than you can say "this was an incredibly stupid idea"
- Repair bots are now banned, though repair tentacles can still be used in case-by-case basis and are still mandatory in TG
-All factions can use all types of detectors

DWG

Allowed:

Weapons:
Cannons, Missiles (laser guidance only in specialized vehicles if at all). CRAM is preferred but not limited to.
Defenses:
Wood/metal armor single layers. Flares, Heat Decoy.
Ammo:
All non-pure AP and EMP, the more explosive the better.

Banned:

Weapons:
PAC, Lasers, Plasma, Railguns.
Defenses:
LAMS, Smoke, Shields, Surge protection, Interceptors, CIWS.
Ammo:
Pure AP including Sabot, EMP.

-DWG is not just all designs made of wood clumped together. Their style should be a combination of the current Neter lineup and ramshackle designs similar to, say, 40k orks and Mad Max
-DWG is fast. These are the DWG of old, predating their massive thrustercraft and more advanced designs and are generally nomadic in nature. Lacking defences they should compensate by being the fastest faction
-DWG uses swarm/wolfpack tactics and will get a slight decrease in FP to their smaller designs to get more designs in at the same time. This will compensate for their rather lacklustre defences

Wanted designs: Buggies, bikes, trikes and similar fast and maneuverable equipment, accompanied by few larger ”battlewagons” providing fire support. May employ some stolen and modified equipment, but only very very tiny numbers. DWG isn't a newbie faction here and should act more like glass cannons. Most designs should be rather tiny and might even be always spawned in packs via subvehicles.

OW

Allowed

Weapons:

CRAMs, more CRAMs, even more CRAMs. ACC allowed for specialized roles, but should be rarer choice of weapon or a secondary gun.
Defences:
Metal, Flares, Surge protection, LAMS. OW fortresses can employ minor and close-range shields, and their AI can be smoked.
Ammo:
Everything expect EMP. Pure HE is preferred in all situations.

Banned

Weapons:
Lasers, PAC, Plasma, Missiles, Railguns.
Defences:
Shields, Interceptors, Smokes, CIWS.
Ammo:
EMP.

-These are dedicated land vehicles, not just old OW designs with tracks.
-The landcastles should be bristling with guns. If your designs doesn't have at least three cannons you'll be laughed out of the OW tank club. Take inspiration from the interwar land battleships (T-28, T-35, Tog II and so forth. Just check wikipedia for multiturreted tanks and land battleships) or even older stuff like siege towers
-OW is extremely standardized. All designs should follow the typical crenellation and painting style of the faction. Other than that go nuts with whatever you can imagine
-The landcastles predate castleships, though technology has come a bit further in Quest for Neter. All designs should resemble hybrids more than the late-model castleships
-3k volume limit, go nuts.

Wanted designs: Unholy lovechildren of T-35 and Palisade. Lumbering multiturreted behemoths with enough guns to shatter a city. Big bloody explosions. Standardization doesn't mean the design should just be a bathtub with tracks and copypasted turrets. Chimneys, boilers and other similar details are very much welcome. The designs should be universally slow, but I might take a single speedy scout-castle just for the sake of hilarity. Submitting anything flying will earn my eternal contempt. You don't want to be eternally contempted, do you?

WF

Allowed

Weapons:
Pure AP, EMP and frag cannons, Graviton rams, PACs, Missiles, Rams, Spinning bits with more rams, Drills, Anything else that can horribly mangle enemies in melee.
Defences:
Armor depending on the corporation, (http://www.fromthedepthsgame.com/forum/s...p?tid=5172 instances of "metal and alloy" should be treated as pure metal) flares, interceptors, smokes. (remember that the designs tend to be fast) Every design must have shielding. Priests should have a full coverage, Zealots massive frontal shields
Ammo:AP, EMP, Frag, Graviton ram.

Banned

Weapons:
Lasers.
Defences:
CIWS, LAMS. Zealots can only use HA to reinforce ramming parts unless otherwise notified.
Ammo:
Anything that explodes.

-WF is split into two castes: Priests and Zealots. Priest are snipers and have rams mostly as decorations, whereas zealots will wreck the enemy in glorious melee while also spewing ammunition at the infidels. I'd like to have more zealots than priests
-WF has the best shielding. Priests should have a shield bubble, Zealots strong frontal shields. Shields should be the main form of defense, not armor
-WF has fast vehicles and guns. Zealots should go fast enough to actually get to ramming distance. All weapons expect the rarer crams should give a steady stream of dakka
-You should probably add more spikes, just to be sure
Priest designs should have excellent detection equipment and intra-vehicle transmission.

Wanted designs: WF is an extremely varied faction, so if it has spikes, a sleek look and fits into either caste it should probably be just fine. Be sure to check out the different WF corporations, as they offer a better explanation of the different stylistic nuances. You have the excellent choice of weaponry and the wide variety of the faction at your disposal, so don't just build a generic sabot-spewing death machine. Particle cannon tank destroyers, uparmored combat engineering equipment with big spinny blades, whatever it is, WF offers it a home of equal-opportunity evil.

TG

Allowed

Weapons:
Everything! Big, blunt stuff (crams, big missiles) for male designs, smaller more accurate ones (lasers, AA missiles) for females.
Defences:
Also everything. Males should rely more on metal than shields, females on shields more than metal.
Ammo:
You guessed it, everything. This means more variety, not ”give everything the flavor of the month ammo”, so go ahead and experiment.

Banned:

Defenses: Heavy armor (Elites and HQ can use HA instead of using repair tentacles)

Other than that robots do whatever they want.

-TG is split into male and female designs. Any design should have a counterpart of another gender. Male designs have big guns that hurt a lot, whereas female designs employ more accurate weapons. Males are metal, females are shields and alloy. Exceptions can be made, as TG is mostly about variety
-TG should mostly use mechas because they're awesome and everyone loves them. Other equipment should be things like drone-spewers and maybe some fancy specialized vehicles, though you still should be building mechas instead
-TG loves repair cheese. Every design should have at least one repair tentacle, though don't overdo it. Elites and HQs can use HA instead of tentacles.

Wanted designs: Mechas! Most of the faction should be some kind of humanoid death machines. Tracked, floating, walking, anything goes. Each mecha should have as many different weapons as possible, and have both a male and a female counterpart based on similar chassis. (Check out Shadow and Marksman for example) There can be a few more traditional designs accompanying them, but mechas should be the main deal here. One or two dronespewers can be built but are not mandatory. If anyone manages to build a mecha that can do melee combat with opposing vehicles I will upvote you so hard that your mother will get reputation.

SE

Allowed

Weapons:
Cannons, Missiles, A design or two can have PACs, Railguns.
Defences:
Everything is allowed, full metal armor. Shielding should be strong but not a WF bubble.
Ammo:
Explosives, frags, EMP allowed in missiles but not in cannons and PACs.

Banned

Weapons:
Lasers, Plasma (might change in the future, Majyst willing).
Defences:
Anything goes.
Ammo:
Pure AP *SABOTS ARE PURE AP* except in dedicated AA stuff, cannon EMP.

-Just because SE is the closest faction to a conventional military doesn't mean that they have to look super-duper-ultra realistic. Give them sponsons, hull-mounted guns, weird asymmetric turrets, you name it. More scifi, less T-72 in a blue paintcoat
-The most jack-of-all-stats faction. Doesn't have any particular handicaps or special things, though specialized designs can excel at any given role
-ALL designs should have intra-vehicle transmission

Wanted designs: Everything really. Tank destroyers, combat engineering vehicles, artillery, whatever floats your boat. While SE is fairly realistic as far as the factions go the designs should clearly be part of a rather advanced faction with access to railguns and particle cannons. Multiarmed turrets, asymmetric designs, casemated PACs and so forth. Sponsons and hull-mounted guns are a plus.

LH

Allowed

Weapons:
Lasers, PACs, Missiles, Plasma, Railguns. Lasers should be the main weapon.
Defences:
Flares, interceptors, smokes, (use sparingly) shields if you're feeling confident in your engine. Alloy armor with metal reinforcing.
Ammo:
Pure AP, EMP, frags with missiles.

Banned:

Weapons:
Cannons
Defences:
CIWS
Ammo:
Explosives

-LH uses hovercrafts. Make sure your design can adjust into varying terrain height accordingly to prevent accidental lithobraking
-LH has a quite varied selection of weapons available, but lasers should be the primary weapon used on most designs. Railguns and PACs should only appear on rare specialized vehicles, missiles can be added wherever needed
-All LH designs should be fast and extremely maneuverable
- LH designs should employ "stealthy" detection equipment, aka infra-cameras and passive detectors. This one isn't as important as the other guidelines and can be ignored if you want to add other opticals

Wanted Designs: Hovercrafts of varying kind. Hovertanks, casemated railgun hovercraft, multiturreted laser mobile discocraft, anything goes. Stylistically they should somewhat resemble the current LH hydrofoils, so sharp, a bit frail-looking high-tech designs, possibly with pontoons of some kind. Compare to the rounder, blobbier and sturdier SD designs. Designs are supposed to be rather glass cannony, though a few sturdier hover-MBTs won't hurt anyone.
General Guidelines for All submissions

Silly rule #1: All vehicles need a rudder and propeller hidden inside so that driving controls appear if the player uses these design. Also needs chair, steering wheel, and firing computer.

Silly rule #2: When designs are spawned in game they pop up in the air about 10-15 blocks. If the design is unbalanced it can tip over before it lands.
To check to see if your design is unbalanced get close to the ground, look at the ground and load it, it will then pop up into the air. If it is unbalanced, Add jet stabalizers to make sure it lands properly without hurting itself.

Silly rule #3: Heartstone, probably dont need them, but i would rather they were put in from the start instead of added later.

Not silly rule #4: All submissions must be under 2k volume except OW which will have a 3k Volume.
I must object the 2000 Volume limit, if you take look at my Ravager, its barely large, barely 900 blocks and its already over 2000 volume already and its not finished and i dont think i will be able to scrap something without ruining it

2500 or 3000 is better if you want good combat performance AND good visuals

Also, why Silly rule #1 ? I need more details
(2016-05-13, 05:42 AM)mrvecz Wrote: [ -> ]Also, why Silly rule #1 ? I need more details

(2016-05-11, 10:18 AM)Majyst Wrote: [ -> ]General Guidelines for All submissions

Silly rule #1: All vehicles need a rudder and propeller hidden inside so that driving controls appear if the player uses these design. Also needs chair, steering wheel, and firing computer.
I need more details, and mainly a practical reason, barely 3% of entire player population uses manual control, and this is AI faction design after all
(2016-05-13, 05:42 AM)mrvecz Wrote: [ -> ]I must object the 2000 Volume limit, if you take look at my Ravager, its barely large, barely 900 blocks and its already over 2000 volume already and its not finished and i dont think i will be able to scrap something without ruining it

2500 or 3000 is better if you want good combat performance AND good visuals

Also, why Silly rule #1 ? I need more details

This is why I submitted an Onyx Watch design.

I might try something smaller for one of the other factions, but I'm not great at efficient use of volume.
1. if the player wants to load the tanks and drive them themselves, they can.

2. If i decide to make missions using these tanks id rather have them fit for driving to start with than have to find space for them later.

Wasted way too much time refitting Neter ships with cockpits when I had to do missions for neter last year.
hey 1 thing: you never mentioned ERA armor ever in the list of defences. should some factions have ERA?
All factions can use ERA, and I think all factions have approved submissions that have some.
Uhm, what are the rues about heavy armor might I ask?
Pages: 1 2