From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Laser building checklist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Laser design could look intimidating at first sight but it's actually pretty simple, a quick checklist for offensive lasers:
  • Make it 4Q.
  • Always use 4 pumps/cavity if possible, you have to pay for the cavities/destabs/frequence doublers anyway.
  • Decide how much power you want to give the laser(this'll be your dps). Divide it by 400: you need this many cavities.
  • You need 22 AP, more won't help with shooting through air/water/smoke, only useful against mantlets(those have >10 armor). Put the doublers wherever you want, they are shared across the entire system.
  • Add destablizers until the power use is constant when shooting. That means cavities are never full and use 100% of their charging potential.
    Distribute the destabilizers evenly, they only affect the cavity line they're on.
  • If you'd need way too many destabilizers remove some, add an extra combiners and repeat the previous step. 1 combiner is rarely practical, I mostly use 2-4.

In stable state you could remove 1 destab each line if you really want to maximize damage/shot(burst starts with 100% filled cavities that way.)
2 of these are correct.

1 of these is half-correct.

3 of these are either based on arbitrary assumptions or are basically incorrect.

I'll leave it to you to do research (hours of forum searching + hours of time ingame + hours of doing math) and figure out which is which.

You can of course disagree and ignore this.
Well that's just not helpful. I did read the wiki/disco guide/some posts and took the occasional glance at the code.

Point out the errors and I'll edit accordingly, a laser quickstart would be much nicer than everyone having to slog through all the numbers as a first step.
Well the basic premise is you don't have to know laser numbers, just make sure the pumps always go at full tilt: I'd say it's a perfectly fine quickstart.

Don't see any real problems, maybe that stacking destabs is inefficient for 1 combiner until it's stable.
Still, if you have anything but a miniature laser you'll have more than one lines and just slap on a second combiner instead of stacking a million destabs on each.
Also, pumps report 50 energy for 80 power/sec. In reality they still drain 100 so 400 dps/cavity should still be correct.

Again, point out concrete problems and I'll check them out.
http://fromthedepths.gamepedia.com/Damage
The 'structurally sound' bonus to layers of armor gives double layer metal an armor class of 18. Five layers of metal would have an armor class of 30. So an AP of 36+ would be justified even very early in the campaign to fight Onyx Watch castleships.

It took more than 3 tries to find that wiki page and I had to load up the game to find exact phrases from the UI to search for, so I don't blame you for missing it. I am kind of surprised that basically no one noticed the huge defense implications for the structural bonus when it was announced in the change log though.
(2016-05-01, 02:20 AM)breakthrough Wrote: [ -> ]...

Does not apply to laser.
(2016-05-01, 02:20 AM)breakthrough Wrote: [ -> ]http://fromthedepths.gamepedia.com/Damage
The 'structurally sound' bonus to layers of armor gives double layer metal an armor class of 18. Five layers of metal would have an armor class of 30. So an AP of 36+ would be justified even very early in the campaign to fight Onyx Watch castleships.

It took more than 3 tries to find that wiki page and I had to load up the game to find exact phrases from the UI to search for, so I don't blame you for missing it. I am kind of surprised that basically no one noticed the huge defense implications for the structural bonus when it was announced in the change log though.

Come on now, on the very page you linked: "Against explosive or kinetic damage".
Even if you don't take 5 minutes to test it just read the full page.
Also, that "basically no one noticed" is "basically everyone noticed", armor buff was kinda a big deal Smile

The initial post is still correct.
1 destab/line, 2 combiners, 4q, giant engine, tissues for when it does nothing to smoke.

Done.
(2016-05-01, 02:37 AM)draba Wrote: [ -> ]Come on now, on the very page you linked: "Against explosive or kinetic damage".
Even if you don't take 5 minutes to test it just read the full page.
Also, that "basically no one noticed" is "basically everyone noticed", armor buff was kinda a big deal Smile

The initial post is still correct.

Firstly, it takes more than 5 minutes to get to the main menu. Further, duplicating the effort of everyone else defeats the point of even visiting the forum.

Secondly, I tested it when the armor buff dropped and it seemed to apply to lasers then. You are in fact correct, even if you worded every post in this thread in a very condescending way I guess that counts as constructive unlike your first reply.

Thirdly, if we want to get pedantic with it, I meant "basically no one has posted a campaign practical vehicle that runs at a decent framerate, decent requiring that it be under five thousand blocks, and that actively uses the structural mechanic". I will grant that no one besides myself giving a flying duck about block count is a contributing factor, but still.
(2016-05-01, 03:33 AM)TauNeutrino Wrote: [ -> ]1 destab/line, 2 combiners, 4q, giant engine, tissues for when it does nothing to smoke.

Done.

A much better evaluation, I'll give you that Smile
For 2 combiners you'll want 3-4 destabs though; those will make average single hit damage go from 18 to 26ish(or from 0.0001 to 0.0002 in smoke).

(2016-05-01, 04:52 AM)breakthrough Wrote: [ -> ]Firstly, it takes more than 5 minutes to get to the main menu. Further, duplicating the effort of everyone else defeats the point of even visiting the forum.

Secondly, I tested it when the armor buff dropped and it seemed to apply to lasers then. You are in fact correct, even if you worded every post in this thread in a very condescending way I guess that counts as constructive unlike your first reply.

Thirdly, if we want to get pedantic with it, I meant "basically no one has posted a campaign practical vehicle that runs at a decent framerate, decent requiring that it be under five thousand blocks, and that actively uses the structural mechanic". I will grant that no one besides myself giving a flying duck about block count is a contributing factor, but still.

I was annoyed, not even reading the page you linked is pretty much a big middle finger to us.
There are plenty of cheap blueprints with stacked armor, just mine are the 714 block Omen and 1725 block Kund.
Both have 2m metal where missiles/torpedos are most likely to hit.

Edit:
Blueprint, and average damage will be ~25(400 dps / (2x8), duh).

Attached a laser test setup for anyone who wants to dick around with it.
[Image: E0o7MV8l.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4