From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Alternative "Active" ACC barrels with inbuild Functions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Black sun syndicate have come up with a true Futuristic design for an "active" rail gun barrel.

The basic Idea is to make the rail gun an option again for endgame weaponry by Including the magnet function inside the barrel.

Let me specify:

The barrel has the same parts as the standard variants we posses already in FTD, but with the attributes to increase the shell speed if there where 2 magnets attached to the gun. This could prevent an advantage in space since you wont need to put the magnets around the barrel.

But this construction should come with some drawbacks to make it more balanced.

The first would be to make the barrel cost 15-20% more than a standard unit with 2 magnets together. This option would prevent the excessive early game spam due to increased resource cost.

Second would be to limit the barrel to a single-design, allowing to force a slower fire rate of the turret, and to keep the polygon count lower.

Here are some concepts 3D models of the barrels:
Credit for the 3D models goes to Glayn

[Image: aRSJjWz.png]
this is the muzzle

[Image: RezMSr1.png]

[Image: GsrsLV5.png]
this is the standard barrel

[Image: as7EwzL.png]
This one is called the "Liquid cooling unit" and acts as an bore evacuator

[Image: IqCmpe3.png]
Picture of an example barrel

[Image: 1TfzQQi.png]
all barrel components will come with rails inside

We really hope that the Idea will please some people and make it into the core-game as an alternative barrel. Big Grin

Pictures may not reflect the finished product and may subject to change.

Rate and comment if you like or dislike the idea!! Smile
I totally support this for the simple reason that the current railguns are ugly.

On the subject of liquid cooled barrels, can you make some ww1-era barrels with water cooling jackets? Balance wise i'd say they should have almost no HP and possibly an aiming restriction, but have the effect of almost no cooldown, especially on small calibers.
(2016-02-03, 08:09 PM)bs1110101 Wrote: [ -> ]I totally support this for the simple reason that the current railguns are ugly.

On the subject of liquid cooled barrels, can you make some ww1-era barrels with water cooling jackets? Balance wise i'd say they should have almost no HP and possibly an aiming restriction, but have the effect of almost no cooldown, especially on small calibers.

Thx for the support

The design should be more futuristic or sci-fi themed then the current one already in game. Other more older designs will be considered after those 3D models are 100% finished Wink
+1, very good idea.

Also, those 3D-modesl look sweet Big Grin
I just want the barrels.
Due to the hight polygon count, the barrels need to be locked to a single design. We are already more then 10x times over the polygon count on the ingame variants.

Otherwise we will have to ask for other solution to minimize the lag. On the other hand, only a few of these parts could be used per ship and keep the polygon count also as low as possible.
You guys want me to concept out some liquid cooled WW1 barrels?
(2016-02-04, 01:57 AM)EventHorizon Wrote: [ -> ]You guys want me to concept out some liquid cooled WW1 barrels?

Thx but for the moment we will focus and finish those designs and then move on to something new. But the proposal has been noticed.
On the polygon count, perhaps make the barrel models solid instead of hollow?(Since the in-game barrels also do so)
they're hollow so there's space for the rails inside. It is a railgun after all.
Pages: 1 2