From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Over penetration for cannons and lasers too(X-laser, GRaser)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A while back there were some dev talk about making very high AP shells pass through armor without doing much damage, this doesn't seem implemented yet, since it seems that most shells will destroy or very heavily damage the armor they pass through.

Along the same line of though, it would be fun and realistic if very high AP lasers can over penetrate as well. Persumably, with enough frequency increasers, they go into X-Ray or Gamma ray region, and only deposit only a small fraction of energy at the surface layer. This would open the cool possibility of lasers shooting through armor to damage internal components.
I'm not sure cannons should work that way, but I totally agree with lasers. In addition, AP lasers might lose less damage over distance (less interaction with atmosphere i guess?) and be more effective vs smoke, with the tradeoff being less effective against shields. Another cool addition might be Scatter Optics or something. Reduces range or damage, whatever, but gives a small aoe to the laser instead of the 1-block guarantee™ You could make weapon that would have lowish range or damage, but has some chance of hitting something important on the new JSF designs.
JSF isn't scary at all. I will come up with a craft that beats it when I get home next week.

Real cannons most definitely could over penetrate without doing much damage to the armor.
(2016-01-09, 01:39 AM)goduranus Wrote: [ -> ]JSF isn't scary at all. I will come up with a craft that beats it when I get home next week.

Real cannons most definitely could over penetrate without doing much damage to the armor.

Eh, I just don't like using lasers myself, and I was reading that missiles wouldn't be able to hit them. Even if one missile did, there was a good chance they'd survive that hit.

On topic though, yeah RL cannons can do that, and currently that translates to just the single little armor block being destroyed vs HE blowing the wall off. RL it still leaves a hole, I imagine if you get lucky and put an HE shell right into an AP hole you'd really mess something up.
Yeah but most ships are built with beams, and making a 4m hole with a 125mm slug doesn't make much sense.
Yeah, I dunno whether to do the "its just a game" jedi hand wave thing, or smack it with the reality tuna. The other problem is that armor itself isn't very useful right now. Might be some other things need looking at before that sort of change to cannons. Lasers could use the buff though I think
Logically lasers should not penetrate.

Even gamma radiation can be stopped by the sheer thickness of metal (denser the better).

I would not expect much to get past the first bulkhead, yet alone any second ones.

I would also question the damage ability of such a weapon, considering that lasers are mostly heat based weapons, and gamma is more of a 'you got cancer' type of wave.
Nope, laser is not not just heat based, strong pulse lasers induces shockwaves within the material they hit, cause internal spalling as their main damage. So they are kinds of like explosive weapons.
generic space radiation is the reason the electronics industry has spent billions of dollars trying to rad harden their equipment for satellites etc... considering current game mechanics, maybe you could add a module to change damage type from just reg damage to have emp with a bonus to shield damage, or chance to penetrate or something?
mechwarrior online uses heat effects on lasers (armour turns red hot from being shot). Consider lasers being a very very high energy light and if you use a high powered laser on something it will apply heat. high wattage lasers are used to cut metal and the frequency used affects how cleanly it cuts.

I noticed the game does include angle of bullets hitting blocks and armour value to determine if it gets deflected or does damage. I vote for very high AP being able to penetrate but it must be a much much higher value.
Pages: 1 2