From The Depths - Forum

Full Version: Junkers Ju 87
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The Ju 87 Stuka Dive bomber was one of the earliest models of dive bombers used in WW2. Used extensively by the Luftwaffe, it became infamous for its use of the "Jericho trumpet" sirens (which we unfortunately can't recreate in FTD :C ).
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Ju_87 )

Scale: 2:1 (22 meters - 10.8 meters)

Block Count: 281

Top Speed: 34 m/s

Armament:
1, 3 block unguided bombs on the central, lower hull. 4, 2 block unguided bombs on each wing (2 for each wing)
2 .018m machine guns mounted on each wing.
1 twin .018m machine gun mounted as for a seat gunner.

Traits:
Land Based
-Cannot be used on aircraft carriers

Slow
-Slower than most comparable monoplanes of its time

[Image: e2ofLtOh.jpg]

[Image: p4rhhq9h.png]

[Image: 6lhKJsah.png]

[Image: xspMsl9h.png]

Things to potentially change:
-Bombs
-Paint
-Flight pattern

Things to DEFINITELY change:
-AI
-AI
-AI
-Field of fire restraints
-AI

At this point, I don't think that the default AI is going to cut it. The AI simply cannot handle unguided dive bombers without bobbing or changing its flight path every half second. I've tried a few ACB tricks to get it working, but even so, it's not consistent enough to make those reliable either.

--Edit:
-Replaced the AI with Madwand's advanced aerial Lua AI; managed to get basic dive bombing
-Minor aesthetic/technical details
-Aircraft will "turn off" once it hits the water (props turn off), which means that hitting the water will take it out of the fight.

Edit#2:
-Major aesthetic overhaul of the wings and tail.
-Gunner actually works now.
(Pictures in this post have not been updated)

Edit#3:
-Added 2 ion thrusters to compensate for the new drag update.
This was done in devtest so this might have issues in the stable branch
There is indeed several lua options, madwands has the ability and so does the cinematic AI we use for fighters. Looks real good I'll fiddle with it later see how it performs and change any asthetic stuff I'm picky on Wink. We might even change the bomb for an ACC they pack much more punch. Now all it really needs is a scream!
Ok, I replaced the base AI with Madwands Lua aerial AI. Using the settings on it I've managed to get a very basic dive bombing attack pattern. It can now reliably hit an immobile Norge.

[Image: yEpXXO6l.png]

[Image: YE04he1l.png]

[Image: 6cKzxRRl.png]

Still not quite what we're looking for, but it's a start. Big Grin
[Updated OP]
ill try and get hold of the Code that Achtung changed as it makes them do decent dives. failing that try Cinematic AI and set the maneuver distance low r high i dont remember which and set the bomb to 1st weapons group so it should point straight down at the ship to fire with decent settings.
I have a thing for pretty planes. This is one of my favorites; it is one of the few that I can see and immediately recognize it. Cheers! \[^-^]/
Try modifying it - find a block of code that triggers when a certain distance away and have it set desires alt to like 50, then reset it in a block that triggers on distance.
(2015-12-14, 02:52 AM)Confidentbottle Wrote: [ -> ]-snip-
Thank you very much. Big Grin

(2015-12-14, 02:52 AM)Confidentbottle Wrote: [ -> ]Cheers! \[^-^]/

You too!

(2015-12-14, 02:59 AM)TauNeutrino Wrote: [ -> ]Try modifying it - find a block of code that triggers when a certain distance away and have it set desires alt to like 50, then reset it in a block that triggers on distance.

You mean meddle with the Lua code? (This doesn't use the default aerial AI anymore, so ACBs won't work.)

I really don't know the first thing about Lua unfortunately; I'd need someone to help me out with that.

(2015-12-13, 11:56 PM)mech_romancer Wrote: [ -> ]ill try and get hold of the Code that Achtung changed as it makes them do decent dives. failing that try Cinematic AI and set the maneuver distance low r high i dont remember which and set the bomb to 1st weapons group so it should point straight down at the ship to fire with decent settings.

I tried the Cinematic AI a little, but I wasn't able to get it to create a decent dive. Maybe I just don't know how to use it yet. Tongue

If there's a different code to use, then that would probably be better.
Modified but untested - try it!
http://pastebin.com/zHvCkg9T
Will make a post about it if it works.
Thank you!

Just got done testing the code.

It has the problem that it dives as soon as it turns to face the enemy ship. So, in other words, it's diving to 50m above the water when it's 1000 meters away.

I imagine, with some small changes, this would be excellent for torpedo bombers.
But for both torpedo and dive bombers we're going to need a setting as to what distance to start the dive.

Edit: Also, do you think it would be possible to edit how steep the dive is? It's currently got a pretty shallow decent for a dive bomber.
Yeah it's a simple mod changing CruisingAlt, nothing fancy. I don't have computer access so I'm not sure I'll be able to code but I can try from my phone or tablet.
Pages: 1 2